This article may contain affiliate links, which means if you make a purchase following our links won’t cost you extra, but we may earn a commission. Learn more
When it comes to ensuring your Generac generator runs optimally during a power outage, having a reliable and high-quality battery is essential. With so many options available on the market, it can be overwhelming to know where to begin your search. That’s why we’ve put together this essential guide for buyers, providing you with everything you need to know to make an informed decision when purchasing the best battery for your Generac generator.
From understanding the different types of batteries to considering factors such as capacity, voltage, and maintenance requirements, this guide will help you navigate the buying process with confidence. So, let’s get started and find the perfect battery to power your Generac generator when you need it most.
Mighty Max 12V Battery for Generac XG8000E Generators
||See on Amazon|
Mighty Max ML9-12NB-12 Volt SLA AGM Battery
||See on Amazon|
Interstate Batteries (HSL1069) for Generac Generators
||See on Amazon|
Mighty Max Battery for Generac 7500 EXL Generator
||See on Amazon|
Generac 5819 Battery For Standby Generators
||See on Amazon|
Types of Batteries for Generac Generators
Generac generators can use two types of batteries: lead-acid and lithium-ion batteries.
Lead-acid batteries are the most common type of battery used in Generac generators. These batteries are affordable, reliable, and have been in use for over 150 years. They come in two subtypes: flooded lead-acid batteries and sealed lead-acid batteries.
Flooded lead-acid batteries are the most basic type of lead-acid battery. They are easy to maintain and have a long lifespan. They require regular topping up of distilled water to maintain their electrolyte levels. Sealed lead-acid batteries, on the other hand, are maintenance-free, as they come sealed and do not require any topping up. They are more expensive than flooded batteries.
Lithium-ion batteries are a newer and more expensive option for Generac generators. They offer several advantages over lead-acid batteries, including longer lifespan, lighter weight, and faster charging times. They also do not require any maintenance. They are still relatively new and may not be as widely available or compatible as lead-acid batteries.
Our Selected Top 5 Best Battery for Generac Generator
1. Mighty Max 12V Battery for Generac XG8000E Generators
- Brand: Mighty Max Battery
- Manufacturer: Mighty Max Battery
- Dimensions: 5.94 inches x 2.56 inches x 3.94 inches
- Weight: 5.17 Pounds
This 12V 9AH Battery Replacement for Generac XG8000E Portable Generators is an excellent replacement battery for your generator. It is a high-quality battery that will provide you with long-lasting power and performance.
- The 12V 9AH Battery Replacement for Generac XG8000E Portable Generators can provide up to nine hours of backup power for your home in the event of a power outage.
- This battery replacement can also be used to power small appliances and electronics during a camping trip or other outdoor adventure.
- The battery is maintenance-free and features a built-in voltage regulator to protect your devices from overcharging.
- Installation is quick and easy, thanks to the included mounting hardware and instructions.
- With a one-year warranty, you can be confident that this product will meet your needs for many years to come.
The 12V 9AH Battery Replacement for Generac XG8000E Portable Generators is an excellent product. It works great as a replacement battery for my portable generator and it has a long life span. I highly recommend this product to anyone who needs a replacement battery for their generator.
2. Mighty Max ML9-12NB-12 Volt SLA AGM Battery
- Brand: Mighty Max Battery
- Dimensions: Height: 4.0 Inches Width: 3.0 Inches Length: 6.0 Inches
- Weight: 5.17 Pounds
This 12-volt 9 AH battery is perfect for use in a variety of applications including alarm systems, exit signs, and other backup power needs. The nut and bolt terminals make it easy to install and the long-lasting design ensures you’ll have reliable power when you need it most.
- The product is able to provide 9 AH of power which is helpful for a number of applications.
- The product has nut and bolt terminals which makes it easy to install and use.
- The product is made from high-quality materials that make it durable and long-lasting.
- The product is very affordable and provides great value for money.
- The product comes with a 1-year warranty for peace of mind
This battery is amazing! It has a really long life and charges quickly. I highly recommend it to anyone who needs a good, reliable battery.
3. Interstate Batteries (HSL1069) for Generac Generators
- Brand: Interstate Batteries
- Color: Original version
- Dimensions: Height: 5.94 Inches Width: 3.7 Inches Length: 2.56 Inches
- Weight: 5.621787681 Pounds
The Interstate Batteries 12V 9Ah High Rate Battery is a great battery for those who need a reliable and powerful source of energy. This battery is perfect for use in high-drain devices such as digital cameras, camcorders, and portable audio players. It also has a long shelf life, so you can be sure that it will be ready when you need it.
- Interstate Batteries 12V 9Ah High Rate Battery (HSL1069) Sealed Lead Acid is a high-performance battery that can be used for a variety of applications.
- It offers superior discharge characteristics and higher capacity than conventional lead acid batteries, making it ideal for demanding applications.
- The battery provides excellent resistance to shock and vibration, making it suitable for use in harsh environments.
- The sealed design of the battery makes it maintenance-free and ensures long service life.
- The battery is backed by a comprehensive warranty from Interstate Batteries, ensuring peace of mind for users.
This battery is amazing! I’ve had it for over a year now and it’s still going strong. It’s been through a lot of abuse and it keeps on ticking. If you’re looking for a quality, long-lasting battery, this is the one you want.
4. Mighty Max Battery for Generac 7500 EXL Generator
- Brand: Mighty Max Battery
- Dimensions: 7.17 inches x 3.03 inches x 6.57 inches
- Weight: 0.74 Pounds
The 12V 18AH SLA Battery for Generac 7500 EXL Portable Generator is a great product that provides the power you need to keep your generator running. It is made with high-quality materials and is designed to last.
- The 12V 18AH SLA Battery for Generac 7500 EXL Portable Generator is a powerful and efficient battery that can provide up to 18 hours of run time on a single charge.
- It is maintenance-free and features a long life span, making it an ideal choice for those who need a reliable and durable power source.
- The battery is also spill-proof and leak-proof, ensuring safety and security whilst in use.
- Its compact size makes it easy to transport and store, and its affordable price makes it a great value for the money.
- The 12V 18AH SLA Battery for Generac 7500 EXL Portable Generator comes with a one-year warranty, giving you peace of mind in knowing that your investment is protected.
This battery was exactly what I needed for my Generac 7500 EXL Portable Generator. It’s a great size and has plenty of power to keep the generator running for hours. I’m very happy with this purchase!
5. Generac 5819 Battery For Standby Generators
- Brand: Generac
- Amps: 525
- Weight: 0.000625 Pounds
- Size: 26R
The Generac 5819 Model 26R Wet Cell Battery is a top-quality battery that is designed for all air-cooled generators. This battery is made with high-quality materials and construction, and it provides superior performance and long-lasting power. The Generac 5819 Model 26R Wet Cell Battery (recharging button cell batteries is easy to recharge and only take a few minutes) is a great choice for any generator owner who wants the best possible performance from their machine.
- The Generac 5819 Model 26R Wet Cell Battery For All Air-cooled Standby Generators is a great product for those who are looking for a reliable and affordable way to keep their standby generators running smoothly.
- This battery is designed specifically for air-cooled standby generators, so you can be sure it will work well with your particular model.
- The wet cell design of this battery makes it more durable and long-lasting than dry cell batteries, meaning you won’t have to replace it as often.
- This battery is also easy to install and maintain, so you won’t have to spend too much time or effort keeping it in good condition.
- The Generac 5819 Model 26R Wet Cell Battery For All Air-cooled Standby Generators is an excellent choice for anyone who needs a reliable and affordable way to power their standby generator.
This battery is great for all air-cooled generators. It is easy to install and has a long life. I would recommend this to anyone who needs a generator battery.
Factors to Consider When Choosing a Battery
When it comes to shopping for the best battery for your Generac generator, there are several factors to consider. Here are some shopping ideas to help you find the perfect battery:
Type of Battery
Generac generators typically use two types of batteries: lead-acid and lithium-ion. Lead-acid batteries are affordable, reliable, and easy to maintain. Lithium-ion batteries, on the other hand, are more expensive but offer a longer lifespan and faster recharge times.
The battery’s capacity refers to its ability to store electrical energy. The higher the capacity, the longer the battery can provide backup power. The capacity is measured in ampere-hours (Ah). Choose a battery with a capacity that matches your expected power needs.
The battery’s voltage refers to its electrical potential. Generac generators typically require 12-volt batteries. Ensure that the battery you choose matches the voltage requirements of your generator.
The reserve capacity refers to the amount of time the battery can provide backup power at a specific load before it is fully discharged. Choose a battery with a reserve capacity that matches your expected power needs.
Consider the maintenance requirements of the battery before purchasing. Sealed lead-acid and lithium-ion batteries require minimal maintenance, whilst flooded lead-acid batteries require regular topping up.
Ensure that the battery you choose is compatible with your Generac generator’s make and model.
Where to Shop
You can purchase Generac generator batteries from several sources, including online retailers, hardware stores, and generator dealerships. When shopping online, ensure that you purchase from a reputable seller with positive customer reviews. When shopping in-store, ask for recommendations from the sales representative and compare prices and features before making a purchase.
How to Maintain Your Generac Generator Battery
Maintaining your Generac generator battery is essential to ensure optimal performance and longevity. Here are some tips on how to maintain your Generac generator battery:
Keep the Battery Clean and Dry
Ensure that the battery terminals and connections are clean and free from dirt, corrosion, and other debris. Use a wire brush or battery terminal cleaner to remove any buildup. Additionally, keep the battery in a dry and well-ventilated area to prevent moisture buildup.
Check the Battery’s Charge Level Regularly
Regularly check the battery’s charge level to ensure that it is fully charged. A fully charged battery should have a voltage of around 12.6 volts. If the battery’s charge level is low, recharge it as soon as possible to prevent damage and prolong its lifespan.
Perform Regular Maintenance
Perform regular maintenance on your battery according to the manufacturer’s recommendations. For flooded lead-acid batteries, this may include topping up the electrolyte levels with distilled water and checking the specific gravity. For sealed lead-acid and lithium-ion batteries, no maintenance is required.
Troubleshooting Common Battery Problems
Even with proper maintenance, batteries can experience problems. Here are some common battery problems and how to troubleshoot them:
Battery Failure to Charge
If your battery fails to charge, check the connections and ensure that they are clean and secure. If the connections are fine, the battery may be damaged and require replacement.
Short Battery Life
If your battery has a short lifespan, it may be due to overcharging, undercharging, or a defective battery. Ensure that you are using the correct charger and that the battery is not left in a discharged state for long periods. If the problem persists, the battery may need to be replaced.
If your battery overheats, it may be due to overcharging, high ambient temperatures, or a defective battery. Ensure that the battery is not overcharged and that it is not exposed to high temperatures. If the problem persists, the battery may need to be replaced.
People Also Asked
How Do I Know When It’s Time to Replace the Battery in My Generac Generator?
Signs that it may be time to replace the battery in your Generac generator include the generator failing to start, or starting but not powering the electrical circuits. You may also notice a decrease in the battery’s charge capacity or a decrease in the cranking speed of the engine.
How Often Should I Check the Battery in My Generac Generator?
You should check the battery in your Generac generator once a month, or more frequently if you use the generator often. Check the charge level, connections, and terminals for corrosion. If necessary, clean the terminals and tighten the connections.
What Size Battery Do I Need for the Generac Generator?
The size of the battery you need for your Generac generator depends on the model of generator you have. The most common models are the 5500-watt, 7500-watt, and 10,000-watt generators. The 5500-watt model requires a 12-volt battery, the 7500-watt model requires two 12-volt batteries, and the 10,000-watt model requires four 12-volt batteries.
What Battery Do I Need for a 22kw Generac Generator?
If you’re shopping for a 22kW Generac generator, you’ll need a battery that can handle the output. The good news is that there are plenty of options on the market.
The most important thing to look for in a generator battery is the reserve capacity.
This is the amount of time the battery can continue to power your generator after it’s been started. You’ll want to make sure the battery you choose has a reserve capacity of at least 8 hours.
Another factor to consider is cold cranking amps (CCA).
This is a measure of how much power the battery can deliver when starting up your generator in cold weather. The higher the CCA, the better. Look for a battery with at least 1000 CCA.
Pay attention to warranty coverage when choosing your generator battery. Some batteries come with longer warranties than others. Choose one that comes with at least a 2-year warranty for peace of mind down the road.
Choosing the right battery for your Generac generator is essential to ensure optimal performance and longevity. Consider the type, capacity, voltage, reserve capacity, maintenance requirements, and compatibility when choosing a battery.
Regular maintenance, including keeping the battery clean and dry, checking the charge level, and performing regular maintenance, can help prolong the battery’s lifespan. If you experience any battery problems, troubleshoot the issue and replace the battery if necessary.